Born in El Salvador, Central América, José remembers enjoying drawing and painting since his early childhood. He graduated from Art School and worked several years as a model maker in the National Museum of Anthropology in capital city of San Salvador while pursuing his painting.
After studying, living and exhibiting in Mexico, he emigrated to Canada in 1982, working as a designer, pursuing his painting and exploring different techniques in glass. He designed and executed various stained glass pieces for houses and churches (Saint Andrews Wesley –in collaboration with Yves Trudeau– and Saint Philips Anglican Church).
Travelling both professionally and for pleasure, José has exhibited in different places in Canada, México and Europe. Last year, he was invited to exhibit at the Foresight Gallery in Amman, Jordan.
In Canada, he continues to explore painting, ceramic, painting and glass. He recently added large wooden sculptures of human figures to his portfolio.
- Treasured Moments, Assiniboia Gallery, 1996
- Marrying the Animals, Cornelia Hoogland, Brick Book, London Ontario, 1995
- Mascal Dance, Comtemporary Dance, 1992
- Vancouver East Cultural Centre, 1992
- Vienen Llegando, Adrián Goizueta y el Grupo Experimental, New Songs from Costa Rica, 1990